December 4, 2015

DIY "Ho Ho Ho" Art

I loved the way my DIY roman numeral wedding date art turned out so I decided to make a similar piece for the holidays!



I used the following supplies:

Total = $53.18!

Note: If I could do it all over again, I would have primed my letters first to save on coats of red spray paint.

I used the following tools:
  • Tape measure
  • Ruler
  • Pencil
  • Level
  • Staple gun
  • Staples for staple gun
  • Drill (to hang the canvas)
  • Screws (to hang the canvas)

I started by sanding the wooden letters down with a sanding sponge. They were smooth to begin with but some of the edges were a little rough and I wanted to try and get rid of some of the saw marks. After I was done, I wiped the letters down with a damp paper towel and let them dry before moving onto the next step.

I knew it would be hard to get spray paint into the nooks and crannies of the letters so I used a foam brush to paint a thin and even coat of red acrylic paint on the edges of each letter. I sanded the edges down in between coats to get rid of any brush strokes. I wiped them down with a damp paper towel before starting the next coat of paint.

After the edges were painted, I took the letters outside to spray paint the front of them.



I propped them up on some rocks so I could easily spray paint the edges. I used 320 grit finishing sandpaper to sand each letter in between coats of paint. I wiped each letter down with a damp paper towel before starting the next coat of paint.

In case you're wondering, it took 4 thin and even coats of paint to completely cover the letters which roughly equaled 1 1/2 cans of spray paint. Like I said above, if I could do it all over again, I would have primed the letters first.

While the letter were drying, I started mapping out the placement of the letters on my canvas. I started in the middle of my canvas and placed each letter 1" apart horizontally and vertically. I made light pencil marks on the canvas so I knew where to place them.



I used E-6000 glue to attach the letters to my canvas.




After the glue had a couple of minutes to set up, I tipped the canvas up straight so I could level each line of letters before the glue had time to fully dry. It's a little tedious to get everything perfect but the extra time spent measuring and leveling is worth it! After all of my letters were stuck in place, I let everything dry for 24 hours.

The next morning, I put a blanket down on our dining table, flipped the canvas over and grabbed our staple gun. I used my fingers as a guide for feeling the edges of the letters and then I stapled the center of each letter in place – after I moved my fingers of course :)



Here's how the back of the canvas looked after the letters were stapled in place:



Note: PLEASE make sure the length of your staple is less than the thickness of your wooden letters so your staples won't shoot through the front of your letters!

After the letters were secure, I hung the canvas up above our makeshift mantel AKA the console table that usually lives behind our couch.





If you missed the rest of our holiday home tour, click here to check it out!

2 comments

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.



All content © Desert Domicile .
Do not repurpose, repost, or redistribute without written permission. All rights reserved.

Blogger Designs by pipdig